Kalyumet is conveniently located near Cook Forest State Park. Bordered by the Clarion River, the parks offers 7,182 acres of natural splendor and great recreational opportunities. The majestic stands of old growth timber have earned Cook Forest the National Natural Landmark designation from the National Park Service.
Cook Forest Attractions
- HIKING - Explore 16 marked trails that cover a network of more than 27 miles.
- FOREST CATHEDRAL - Site of 250-300 year old trees, some standing 200 feet tall.
- FISHING - The Clarion River abounds with trout, warm water game fish and panfish.
- CHILDREN'S FISHING POND - A special stocked fishing pond is available for the exclusive use by children 12 and under and the disabled.
- FIRETOWER #9 - The 80' tower built in 1929 provides a wonderful view of the forest area.
- SENECA POINT OVERLOOK - Capture a great view of the Clarion River Valley from an elevation of 1600 feet.
- CLARION RIVER - The tracts of the river winding through Cook Forest are perfect for wading, canoeing and tubing.
- CLEAR CREEK STATE PARK - Part of the Cook Forest Complex, this area offers scenic views, well maintained hiking trails and fishing opportunities
- WILDLIFE SPOTTING - Cook Forest is home to many forms of wildlife including more than 90 species of birds, deer, black bear, turkey, raccoon, skunk and grouse. A few bald eagles have even been spotted in the area.
- BRIDLE TRAILS - Horseback riding can be enjoyed on the equestrian trails.
- PICNIC AREAS - Picnic facilities are available throughout the park and along the Clarion River.
- HUNTING - Over 4,000 acres of the park are open to hunting.
- INTERPRETIVE PROGRAMS - Environmental programs are presented Friday and Saturday evenings throughout the summer.
- CCC CAMP - Historic information on the camp is posted where the camp once stood within the River Picnic Area.
- COBBTOWN AND BRACKET DAMS - Clues of this historic logging boomtown can still be found along Tom's Run.
- SENECA TRAIL MINERAL SPRINGS - Natural Mineral Springs popular around the turn of the century were thought to have curative powers.
- ROUTE 66 BIKE TRAIL
- NORTH COUNTRY TRAIL
- HORSEBACK RIDING
- ANTIQUE AND SPECIALTY SHOPS
- CLARION RIVER BOAT LAUNCH
- BUMPER BOATS
- GO-KART TRACKS
- FLEA MARKETS
- STATE GAME LANDS
- NUMEROUS RESTAURANTS
- CLARION UNIVERSITY
- DEER RANCH
- ELK HERD
- SAWMILL THEATRE
- SAWMILL CENTER FOR THE ARTS
- AMISH COMMUNITY
- PETTING ZOO
- PUBLIC GOLF COURSES
- RAILROAD TOURS
- ALLEGHENY NATIONAL FOREST
The event dates listed below are provided as a guideline and are subject to change. Before making specific plans to attend any event, confirm the dates and times with the event coordinators. Plan your vacation during one of the many local festivals!
|MAY - OCTOBER
||HAZEN FLEA MARKET - First Weekend (Sunday) of the Month
|MAY - SEPTEMBER
||SAWMILL THEATER EVERY THURSDAY, FRIDAY & SATURDAY
|JUNE 2 - 3, 2018
||SAWMILL HERB & FIBER FESTIVAL
|JUNE 8 - 10, 2018
||FRENCH & INDIAN WAR ENCAMPMENT
|JUNE 16 - 24, 2018
||BROOKVILLE LAUREL FESTIVAL
|JULY 1 - 7, 2018
||WOLF CORNERS FAIR
|JULY 4, 2018
||ST JOSEPH'S ANNUAL 4TH OF JULY CELEBRATION
|JULY 14 - 15, 2018
||SAWMILL WOODCARVING SHOW
|JULY 22 - 28, 2018
||CLARION COUNTY FAIR
|AUGUST 14 - 19, 2018
||TIONESTA INDIAN FESTIVAL
|AUGUST 18 - 19, 2018
||SAWMILL QUILT SHOW
|AUGUST 18 - 19, 2018
||ELK EXPO - BENEZETTE
|SEPT 14 - 16, 2018
||SAWMILL CHAINSAW CARVERS ROUND UP & AUCTION
|SEPT 29 - OCT 7, 2018
||CLARION AUTUMN LEAF FESTIVAL
|OCT 5 - 7, 2018
We would be happy to direct you to these or any of the many other local attractions. Just inquire during your stay at Kalyumet!